Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Keyboard, Mice, And Controllers

Featured Replies

I'm going to try and make this short, but I feel like ranting a little bit. I cannot understand why keyboards and mice aren't supported better on consoles.

I found myself playing Halo Reach last night, and I love the game. Also, despite my horrific ability in FPS with a controller I was attempting Legendary. I'm only about 2 chapters into it and at the going rate I don't think I am going to be able to do it without becoming way too frustrated. I just don't have the coordination to keep up with some of the enemies with a controller. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I would be awesome with a mouse and keyboard, but I would at least have an enjoyable chance trying.

More to my point, why isn't there an official option for this? I'm not asking for full keyboard/mouse with customizable buttons etc, but at least some peripheral, the FragFX controllers coming close, that is a chopped down version of a keyboard and a mouse. Is it a matter of there really not being a big market for it or what? I can only see benefits in allowing it. For one it would make it more enjoyable to play on the systems for those who are use to using mice and keyboards. Am I the only one? Not to mention the benefits to RTS games. Admittedly, there are a few decent RTS games for consoles, but they usually fall short do to controller limitations.

I'll step off my box now. I'm just asking for something that would make some games more enjoyable for me. Just like many of our members and gamers everywhere have the opportunity to use their controllers on the PC, I'd like to have the opportunity to use my keyboard and mouse on the consoles. There is no denying that using controllers on PC games makes it far more enjoyable for gamers use to using them. Why can't I have the same on a console?

BTW. This isn't a which one is better thread. I see benefits in both.

I completely agree with this rant. I've never understood why they can't make some kind of support for keyboard/mouse in console games. The 360 "kind of" works with a keyboard, but only on the dashboard and in the guide, not in any games. The controller design is great, don't get me wrong, but having all the buttons and potential shortcuts of a keyboard, as well as precise mouse control, would help a lot of games like shooters and RTS games. Honestly I think my new PC now trumps my 360 in almost every way, since most multiplatform games support controllers, and, though my 22" monitor is a bit smaller than my 26" HDTV, it's 1080p versus the TV's 720p, plus I could connect it to the TV if I ever got an HDMI to HDMI cable.

Somehow that turned into me bragging about my computer, lol, but my point still stands, the PC has more functionality and control options than with any console, since they only support controllers. The major difference is the price, with consoles being much more affordable.

It'd make it unfair in a hurry. Mouse users would dominate the leaderboards etc. That's really the only thing I can think of, that they might be thinking about.

On top of that, i was thinking about money, consoles must make a lot of money for controller sales, if they make it compatible than people would switch because of the better playing on keyboard and mouse, controller sales would drop.

Its a lot easier to use things like this on a PS3 honestly.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Mouse-Keyboard-Converter-Playstation-3/dp/B0040UAYI4

Not sure why MS doesn't allow it either, but I have to agree with PK that it would slightly uneven the playing field for those who solely use controllers.

I think it'd more than slightly make things uneven. You can spin around far more accurately and faster with a mouse, than you can with a controller. Doesn't matter how far up you've adjusted your sensitivity. I'm sure there are those who whupped on PC users while using a controller and playing Shadowrun, but there's all sorts of bad players on consoles and PC. lol

For instance, you won't see many L4D front to back, in air skeets of Hunters on 360. You'll see plenty of it on PC, though. You can try and use the 180 button and be accurate, but it's never going to be as easy as it is with a mouse.

There is a reason no one plays Shadowrun anymore...console players got completely demolished by the people playing on PC. Ever play Halo 2 on the PC? I never play PC games, but I even found it way easier and faster to kill someone using a mouse rather than a controller.

I've never used my computer to play games so I never used a mouse & keyboard to play FPS. I got pretty used to controllers and that's where I'm comfortable with. I know I'd get my *** handed to me using a controller while some one else uses a mouse/keyboard but I get my butt kicked constantly in multiplayer games anyways.

  • Author

It'd make it unfair in a hurry. Mouse users would dominate the leaderboards etc. That's really the only thing I can think of, that they might be thinking about. On the PC side, having someone playing with a controller instead of the standard mouse, doesn't swing an advantage.

The thing with this is, official support would make it more controllable. Right now I can order the equipment, such as what Chris posted, or the XFPS to use a keyboard and mouse on my console. If MS was to have official support then it could provide ways to know what was plugged in and have controller only or kb/m only lobbies or just not allow them. That way, they can control the product without limiting their users.

I used to be a mouse and keyboard guy for years before I got my first next-gen console, sans multiplayer, but I could never go back to mouse and keyboard. I'm too accustomed to the controller now, it's like an extension of my hand. Though games are a lot more manageable with keyboard and mouse, but even if they came out with that for the consoles, I wouldn't want to give up my handheld.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.