April 10, 201016 yr comment_2667 Can those with Windows 7 play old XP games on it? I read about "XP Mode" but then later found out it isn't really suited to playing games. Report
April 10, 201016 yr comment_2668 This would be the equivalent of running it in a VM so you may get a performance hit. And by may I mean you will. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? Right click the icon, go to Properties, then the compatibility tab. You can then tell it to run in XP compatibility mode.Other than that, there's not much else I can offer. The only thing is, XP mode sucks because it uses MORE resources than just the regular Windows 7. I don't know much else about running older games, but I'll look some stuff up for ya. Report
April 10, 201016 yr comment_2673 Well I went to the Microsoft site, it gives a pretty avid description of it, but my suggestion would be the good ol' trial and error. Give it a shot, see if it works. Here's the linky. Report
April 10, 201016 yr Author comment_2674 Ok yeah, thats what I was worrying about - it slowing down performance. I'll check out that link. Thanks! Report
April 11, 201016 yr comment_2697 What game(s) are you wanting to know if they will work with windows 7? Report
April 11, 201016 yr Author comment_2720 Just games that are made for XP. There isn't really many games that say they are for Windows 7. I don't want to upgrade and then not be able to play any games. Report
April 11, 201016 yr comment_2730 I have Win 7 and so far I've been able to play Borderlands and the APB beta. Also, Torchlight, Psychonauts and Xcom. Report
April 11, 201016 yr comment_2735 I run Win 7 and can play Rome: Total War and The Movies just fine, and those were from before Vista. Report
April 11, 201016 yr comment_2740 I've also had no trouble playing any of my games on Windows 7, so I think you should be fine. Report
April 11, 201016 yr comment_2742 Yeah, Windows 7 will run pretty much any older game. Virtual XP mode will not work btw. It has no support for hardware video acceleration. So, though you can install the games, they would be rendered in software mode or not work at all. Report
April 11, 201016 yr Author comment_2821 Ok that sounds good then. Thanks. Now I just need to figure out my hard drives... Report
April 12, 201016 yr comment_2895 When I come to think of it... the only games I have ever had trouble running are ones that were made before XP. Report
April 12, 201016 yr comment_2908 I can run most of my old games fine with windows compatibility. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.