Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

The Ellipsis Of F**k You...

Featured Replies

I re-posted this back on the ATC, but I feel it needs to be read again. http://bunnyears.net/dan/?p=1057

Seriously, ellipsis' are rude and very much annoying, when not used appropriately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

It's intended for a slight pause in speech. It's even fine for chat or IM's, when you want to indicate you're about to continue your discussion with another big block of text. It's not something you end each sentence with, or to leave as an insult. If you're annoyed with someone or something, say what it is. One period is the perfect number to end your sentence with.

I put this in General Discussion, because I take this seriously. If you do, too, please share in the discussion.

I will say I may use it more than I should, but it does fit my trains of thought, as I wonder from one subject to the next, and i have used it a time or two as an f-u. But then again, i will say, the overuse of the ellipsis can, and does, get quite old.

I do it all the time . . I'm sorry but I started it long before I knew what it was. I've seen this post here before and I started doing this . .. .. or this . . . .. believe me, if I wanted to say **** you to anyone here I would just say and move on.

I mainly use ellipsis for the proper uses. Proper quotes of course, and an unfinished thought.

Chris:

I admit I'm guilt of... abuse from time to time, although i tend to use... large blocks...

I just don't know what to think of that...

Of course, I see them used improperly all the time, and I'm sure I'm guilty of trailing off with them when in chat or something.

I knew they were used as a way to signify a pause in thought or speech, but i didn't know there was only supposed to be three periods , or what they were called... now i know, thanks.

Should I just not post anymore?? lol. I use them because it's how I think. Nothing else.

  • Author

You think in three dots?

I'm not asking you not to post. I'm just trying to make people aware of how annoying and passive aggressive it comes off. I'm sure many people, including you, don't realize they're doing it. Being made aware could be a right step, however.

Can anyone imagine filling out an application and answering "Four years..." when asked "How long were you at your last employment?"? How about the DMV? Eye color? "Blue...".

I know people that just do it as a habit, and nothing more, which is fine. You can usually tell when someone means it as a **** you, or they're trying to be a *******. When used that way, its really annoying, its probably one of my biggest pet peeves. As said in the article you posted, if you have something to say, say it, don't waste my time with damn dots, lol.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.