August 24, 201016 yr comment_17101 Hey all,Anyone having issues with Xbox Live these days? For the past few months I have been getting random disconnects. Right after getting disconnected I can reconnect no prob and it stays up for a bit then disconnects agin. I have been trying everything under the sun to try and improve this. Doing google searches. I have been getting the following.1. If I have been idle or away (this seems like it could be normal but not sure).2. Right in the middle of a download from the marketplace. Happens on almost every single download whether it is a demo or game purchase, etc. It gets about halfway done and bam disconnected.3. Right in the middle of a single player game. For example, playing Mass Effect 2. I start the game, play for about 20 to 30 minutes and suddenly I get disconnected from Live. When this happens during a game and I get disconnected, I generally just keep playing because it is annoying to reconnect every time. I have noticed though as soon as I am done playing the game and I exit to the dashboard I get reconnected to Live automatically without doing anything.This happened while on the new Lara Croft as well.4. If I am in an online deathmatch in Transformers I don't notice getting disconnected from Live but I am constantly getting disconnected from lobbies or the Host quit error. Transfomers has alot of bugs though so who knows. Might have to try some other games that have online.I wonder if my Xbox is going bad lol. I am about ready to call an Xbox rep. If anyone has any insight I am ready! Report
August 24, 201016 yr Author comment_17102 Steps I have taken:1. I revisited my router configuration. I have had zero problems with this router for everything else I have on it, computers, printers, etc. My xbox was fine for the longest with it too.I have done the Xbox Live test numerous times on it to make sure my NAT is open. I had to forward some ports awhile back to get it permanently open since it would say moderate on some tests. But every test is fine these days. It seems like it all started around the time Red Dead came out.2. Gave my Xbox a static IP, so the router does not get confused when automatically assigning IPs reducing the chance of a conflict.3. I suspected my few month old Wireless N Adapter was the problem but I plugged directly into my router and did not help. Report
August 24, 201016 yr Author comment_17103 I think I am down to plugging in directly to my modem. If that does not cure it then it must be the modem or my ISP. Will try this tonight. Man! if this is my ISP my fear is they are not going to be able to do anything and refer me to Microsoft who in turn will also do nothing referring me to my ISP = dead in the water lol. Report
August 24, 201016 yr comment_17104 I think I am down to plugging in directly to my modem. If that does not cure it then it must be the modem or my ISP. Will try this tonight. Man! if this is my ISP my fear is they are not going to be able to do anything and refer me to Microsoft who in turn will also do nothing referring me to my ISP = dead in the water lol.That's exactly what happened to me. Passing blame. Comcast said it was my "Xbox LIVE box". Later on, they said it was my modem. Well, they were full of s***. I'm still using my original modem and the problems cleared up on their own, magically. Report
August 24, 201016 yr Author comment_17105 Yep that is exactly what is going to happen if I call them. I just know it. Hopefully my problems disappear magically as well lol Report
August 24, 201016 yr comment_17106 Last night I got DC'd from Xbox Live. It seems to happen every once and a while for me, but most of the time it's my isp. Last night it wasn't. Report
August 25, 201016 yr comment_17156 Try turning everything off and do a factory reset starting with Ur modem and then Ur router.Also if u do have them come out make sure they send someone qualified to use the tool to measure your signal. If he does it right he should check where the cable comes into Ur house first and work his way to Ur modem to find where u may be losing signal.What kind of modem and router u have? Model #'s pleaseAlso be sure u have the latest firmware Installed. Report
August 25, 201016 yr comment_17166 Try turning everything off and do a factory reset starting with Ur modem and then Ur router.Just to be clear, there's a difference between turning everything off, then back on again (power cycle) and a factory reset. For a factory reset there's usually a button you have to hold in with a pen or something. This will completely reset your router to out of the box default factory settings. Meaning you'll have to re-do your WEP key and reconfigure everything. If you're not a router guru, you might have to call the manufacturer for help and there's a good chance they'll charge you for it. I know Linksys does.It does sound like an issue with your ISP. Testing it out direct to modem will either deny or confirm this. This kind of thing is so fickle. It can work great for years, then all of a sudden, you have issues like this. The good news is that these things tend to "magically clear up" like they did for PK. Let us know what you find out dude. Report
August 25, 201016 yr Author comment_17190 Hey All,To answer you question ARMISTICErj, I have a Linksys WRT54GS2 Wireless-G Broadband Router with Speed Booster. Model #WRT54GS2. Latest firmware.Thanks for the tips Pogre. I will keep you all updated on my troubleshooting.What's wacky is its only happening with xbox live. Everything else on my network has no trouble. My computer always has connection. I have had this router for a couple years I believe. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.