July 28, 201016 yr comment_14925 After reading the thread here about Limbo being offensive, I decided to write an article about games and what is considered offensive. So....your opinions are needed once again. Remember your gamertag will be attached to all comments.What makes a game offensive in your opinion? Do you have an example of a video game scene that you thought was offensive or borderline offensive? Or are people just too sensitive these days after all, it's just a game?Spanks Report
July 28, 201016 yr comment_14962 In my honest opinion, people are WAY too sensitive. I have never been offended by a Video Game. That's like the big uproar over Resident Evil 5. Everyone thought it was racist. People have a right to be offended, but I think it gets a little out of hand. Games are meant for fun. When I was playing through Limbo, I didn't even think once about how the main character was a child, and he could die in graphic ways. So I wasn't offended by Limbo either. Maybe its just me, but I feel adults shouldn't be so up in arms over Video Games, they are there to be enjoyed. Report
July 28, 201016 yr comment_14968 I can't think of anything offensive in a game I've played. I'm sure there may be one or two out there that could, but until I play them myself, I can't opine about them. Wish news outlets would do the same, or find out if the people they have on talking about them, did the same.Whenever I hear or read a news story about violence in games, I think back to Bugs Bunny and friends, Popeye, The Three Stooges etc. I was raised on those shows as a kid, and I turned out fine. I'm sure if I started hooking up 3 ton weights above the neighbors dog, my parents would have stepped in. They knew I didn't take it seriously. The same applies to videogames. There are ratings for games, just as there are for TV shows and movies. It's our jobs as parents, to decide what is okay for our children to watch and play.Also, get the consoles out of your children's rooms. If you heard how they talked on Xbox LIVE, you'd be ashamed and never let them back on. But you can't. They're in their rooms with the door closed and you're in the front room. Adults can be the same way, but it's already too late for those people. Their parents didn't raise them right. Report
July 29, 201016 yr Author comment_15046 Does anyone else have anything they want to add before I write this up? Report
July 29, 201016 yr Author comment_15060 Cool If anyone else wants to add anything and wants to remain anon or not have their gamertag attached to their thoughts, just send me a message or an email. I know that this can be a touchy subject because not everyone shares the same opinions, but I want to make sure that everyone who wants to have a say has one. Report
July 29, 201016 yr comment_15067 I was only offended once by a video game, and it was just an idea for a video game I heard about quite awhile ago. I don't think it ever actually made it to development. The idea was a sandbox game where you play a rapist or something. Horrible! Report
July 29, 201016 yr comment_15070 Agreed with Kitty. Games like that shouldn't be made:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapeLay Report
August 7, 201016 yr Author comment_15670 Anybody else?I had some things going on this past week, but I am going to write this up tomorrow....so if anybody else has anything to say please do Report
August 7, 201016 yr comment_15683 I usually don't think about it. I know I probably play a few games that people like my parents may find offensive, but it really doesn't bother me. I just play them for what they are meant for... entertainment. Now while I can see many games that are debated by people as being offensive, media and other really don't mention the fact that these things deemed "offensive" can be avoided. In Mass Effect, you can avoid the sex scene, and in Modern Warfare 2, opt out of playing the airport mission, or just do what I did and not have the heart to shoot anyone. Honestly, in these days, almost anything can be deemed "offensive," but does that mean it really is? Report
August 7, 201016 yr comment_15707 The only time I've been offended while playing games is while in chat with pk... and that really had nothing to do with the game at all. He also made me cry once... from being a damn bearded bunny. Report
August 10, 201016 yr Author comment_15946 Thanks everyone I am currently writing it up and I put alot of research into it, so I hope everyone appreciates the final product. Report
August 10, 201016 yr comment_15948 I think you should do an article about overpriced XBLA games next. I know there are several games that I would have bought if they were $10 instead of $15, so they're actually losing sales by increasing the price in my opinion. Report
August 10, 201016 yr Author comment_15951 Funny you mention that. I was thinking of tackling the marketplace as a whole in my next article. One day I sat here and went through every little thing that came out and I could not believe the price of some of that stuff especially things that came out a loooooong time ago. It's ridiculous! Report
August 10, 201016 yr comment_15952 The only game I can think of being offended by was a game called DJ Boy. It was for the Sega Genesis, and it had a bunch of people on rollerskates beating the **** out of each other. It was also offensively terrible! Report
August 11, 201016 yr comment_15986 Funny you mention that. I was thinking of tackling the marketplace as a whole in my next article. One day I sat here and went through every little thing that came out and I could not believe the price of some of that stuff especially things that came out a loooooong time ago. It's ridiculous!I say go for it! That's definitely a good topic, with a lot of subject matter that could be discussed, and your articles always come out very well. There are many good examples of M$ ripping people off, such as making the Gears of War 1 DLC paid when Cliffy B wanted it to be free, or some of the Left 4 Dead DLCs being free on the computer but not on consoles. Sure some of it has to do with server costs, but I really doubt M$ is hurting for money to where it would cost $7 per download of an L4D DLC to cover the server cost.But of course you may need opposing viewpoints, so it doesn't look like Gamercide is totally anti-Microsoft. lol Report
August 11, 201016 yr Author comment_16035 Yeah. I couldn't believe the price of some of that stuff that has been out for a couple years now including themes and gamer pics. I'm going to go ahead and post a new topic discussion for that Report
August 11, 201016 yr comment_16039 Roboblitz. One of the first XBLA games. Still sitting at 1200MS after being released in 2006! You can get it on Steam for $10.The game won several awards and got good reviews. However, maybe two people on my full friends list, owns it or has played it. If MS were smart, they'd value price it like they do platinum hits.PLAY ROBOBLITZ! Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.