Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Fitness and Fatness

Featured Replies

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120904193052.htm

 

 

People can be obese but metabolically healthy and fit, with no greater risk of developing or dying from cardiovascular disease or cancer than normal weight people, according to the largest study ever to have investigated this seeming paradox.

 

I found this to be incredibly interesting, especially in a society that looooves to fat shame.

I think like alot of things they try to lump you in with a group, and some of the measurements for obesity like the BMI index dont show how you feel, I mean the BMI for me shows I am boardeline obeses but I am probably in the best shape of my life, I think its important to stay active no matter what weight you are and if you feel good and are healthy then what does it really matter how much you weigh? Everyone is different and should try to do whats best for them.

  • 2 weeks later...

I learned a lot in my BI SCI class last semester and I learned about obesity and health risks that made me raise a few questions.  It's amazing how after you armed with facts it can change your outlook.  Take this for instance....I am at a healthy weight for my height and so forth.  However when you start looking at my health in general...I have hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's Disease (Hashi's is an auto immune disorder that causes the thyroid disease that I have).  <-----My risk for getting Cardiovascular Disease and basically dying from it doubled and is higher than those that are obese due to that.  The thyroid disease I have; Hypothyroidism is an underactive thyroid and with Hashi's basically eating away at the thyoid gland over time there is little producing the right amount of what I need so I have to be put on medication to control it, but that is hard to when things get out of control. (Like right now, my thyroid levels are not controlled and my endo doctor is trying to get them controlled through blood work and adjusting medication)  In the meantime, what is considered the bad cholesterol can be produced in high levels and not allow my heart to pump properly raising my risk for getting heart disease. I can also have a rise in weight, no matter how much I work out and what not. I also have a family history of heart problems and high blood pressure. 

 

It's crazy how doctors just put people into a group as was mentioned above instead of concentrating on individual health.  For example someone who is considered overweight may be healthier than the average weight person standing beside them who smokes a pack a day and eats at a fast food place two or three times a week.

The good lord wants us when he wants us....all the stuff we do and take wont prevent it.

As my Grandfather always said "Rather die of it, than die a wantin it."  I had high cholesterol thats why I started running and working out, I also was starting to get sleep apnea and stomach issues because of my weight, my doctor put me on some cholesterol medicine which I have been trying to get off of , I changed my diet and with working out my cholseterol has dropped and othe issues have gone away with the weight loss.

 

The main reason I work out now is cause I feel good and enjoy it, and I still want ot eat some of the so called "unhealthy food" really with all the studies it seems they say something is bad then come out later and say it is good. My opinion is everything in moderation and listen to your body first.

My goal for this year is to be at 220 when I start a half marathon training program at the end of Dec, I am still going to eat what I want on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, the rest of the time I will keep everything in moderation.

Not a bad goal DD. I just wana get back to the gym. I got another season in me. But running a half marathon....your a beast

Thanks for posting that Ava. One of the reasons I've been away for awhile is what my family has been dealing with. Some of you may know we've been in the adoption process for awhile now. Well we got matched and were so excited. The new child we've been waiting for the last ten years was finally in reach. Except at the full disclosure meeting the manager for social worker of the child decided we weren't fit enough to have an infant. We aren't even as bad as mike and molly for gods sake.

Long story short we've gone through a horrible emotional roller coaster and are back in the waiting process again.

I just wanted to say thanks for posting that so you know how much it means to me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.