Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Graphics cards.

Featured Replies

So, yeah. I haven't been streaming because of 1.) Internets and 2.) SimCity destroyed my graphics card. I tempted fate last night and tried just streaming DS1, and it crashed about 20 minutes in, causing my computer to so an entire system restore (that took about 2 hours).

 

Needless to say, I need a new GPU, woot. Anyone have any suggestions, that aren't heinously expensive? I currently have a GeForce GT 5300. An upgrade is desired, instead of just more of the same.

That's a pretty old card. Most things you can buy would be an upgrade right now. What is your price range and how big is your power supply?

Sub $200

Radeon 7850 1gb (~$180) or 2gb(~$200)

Or

Nvidia 650 Ti 1gb (~$145) or 2gb (~$165)

The 7850 is probably the better deal. It's more, but it performs quite a bit better. I would also recommend 2gb ram either way.

If $150-$200 is your price range then I suggest going with the 7850 especially if you game at 1080p. I'd have to look up the exact specs, but it is a better price/performance ratio. I think both are low power consumers. Just make sure you go with the 2gb cards so you can enjoy the hi resolution texture pack of Skyrim and the higher resolution textures that are hitting more games now.

Slightly ironic, but I should recoup some of the funds I spent on a replacement PSU, so I can sell you the card fairly cheap if your own PSU is capable of handling it.

 

Here is the actual card http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Mini-HDMI-Lifetime-015-P3-1482-AR/dp/B003EEMFWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364547345&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+superclocked+480.

 

I'm thinking something like $130 plus shipping?  The only thing I would ever need it for is as a backup card, but I can get a basic GPU just to have to run the computer if the 680 messes up.  Not sure if any warranty would be transferable, Dat was actually the previous owner.  I hadn't used it for more than a couple months though.  The only real reason I upgraded to the 680 (again, Dat's, he upgrades to crazier GPUs, I profit by buying his used ones lol) was because I play a lot of games in stereoscopic 3D and that takes a good amount of extra power.

I looked it up and supposedly the bare minimum PSU you should have for the 480 is 600W.  To be comfortable, and depending on what else you have in it, you may want a bit more though.  I wouldn't have a problem if you got it, it didn't work, and had to ship it back though.  It will make games like L.A. Noire look and run great, for sure.  We have to get you back in action, those hotdog carts have gone unpunished for far too long.

  • Author

I can't even run the fucking Sims 3 without it crashing after an hour or two. It's been pretty godawful. Dead Space 1 runs for 20 minutes before it crashes. I've been going bonkers over here - thank god for my PS3. My birthday is next month, so I'm going to see if I can finangle some sort of pre-birthday cashaganza.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.