October 11, 201213 yr comment_64702 Ok all as my tradition goes I will try to do these for games that I pickup day one.I have been watching this game for the last couple of months. It sort of came out of nowhere from a game that I was not really interested in to a day one purchase. The more videos and screens I saw the more I wanted the game.I love single player RPGs. I also love games that give me choices as much as possible that also have ramifications on the rest of the characters or world. Choices on how to handle a situation, where to go next, who lives, who dies and different ways of handling situations none of which are wrong. I think it adds replay-ability. You go through again to see how different things can turn out. This game is being praised for giving choices so I took a gamble to give the game a shot.I boot up the game and first off I love the Industrial type of setting. Probably because not a lot of recent games I have played have this setting so it felt fresh. Right from the get go you meet some interesting characters. The games story feels strong to me so far. Every character that I have talked to so far feels well done with great voice acting. I can definitely tell that this is not going to be an open world type of game but hopefully the areas get bigger as I play. I think they will.I can confirm what other reviews are saying. The game plays alot like Deus Ex in the fact that you can be as stealthy as you want to be or just run in and fight it out. I for one love to be stealthy. I like how you can plan an attack in this game so far. You can look through key holes in doors to get a sense of the room and people inside. On one door I could even eavesdrop on a conversation before entering. You can throw objects or bottles to distract them and move in. As you sneak up you can kill or make them unconscious. Your choice. After you take someone out you can carry and move the body wherever you want. Most have loot to collect that you can use to buy upgrades for yourself. The combat is fun.The powers that I have unlocked so far are awesome! Best part is you can unlock them in any order you desire. I opted for Dark Vision right off so I can see my enemies through walls and such for my stealth type of play. I can see once I get some of these other powers the possibilities are really going to open up. The weapons are also well done. I got a crossbow pretty quick and it felt satisfying taking down some guards from a far distance. Never knew what hit them! The sword can chop peoples heads clean off at times. The first time it happened were like "Whoaaaa"!So far so good but on the xbox I will say that the graphics look a little dated. It's not horrible, the still look good but not as sharp as I was hoping for. I'm fine with it since it does not kill the immersion for me or anything but if you are a stickler for graphics you might be slightly disappointed.Hopefully the game continues to impress. I will keep you updated. I see this as a good game to play in-between my Borderlands 2 sessions. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_64721 I haven't started mine yet. Still too into Borderlands 2. I'm looking forward to it, though. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_64728 I can't wait to play this. Going to have to until my hand gets better. Hard to use a mouse at the moment. Going to buy it when the cast comes off. Report
October 12, 201213 yr Author comment_64729 I can't wait to play this. Going to have to until my hand gets better. Hard to use a mouse at the moment. Going to buy it when the cast comes off.I hope it gets better soon! Did not know you were hurt. You will enjoy this game! Report
October 15, 201213 yr comment_64762 Oh I know you'll love it Dat. I already do after only completing the first levels and exploring around a bit. There's so much backstory and stuff to find. After you get to a hub area of sorts there are even a ton of books and notes you can find and read. The scenery and environment notwithstanding, the level design even shares similarities with Half-Life. It has that same 'never take control away from the player' philosophy to an extent. I accidentally killed someone unknowingly (didn't move the unconscious body away from a door I blew up) and redid the entire first levels over to keep going for no kills, and was able to puzzle my way through it much faster, no unskippable prerendered cutscenes or the like. But the real fun is in exploring and taking everything in the first time through.The trick is, don't try to play it as an action game or anything, take your time, be stealthy, explore the environments. It's a lot like Deus Ex: Human Revolution in that way. If you want to rush straight to the objectives you could just slice everyone up, and admittedly it's good fun, but it doesn't even make sense for the story unless you want to play as a psycho murderer. This is a great article I read about this, regarding the length of the game and how it can be played: http://www.rockpaper...honored-length/ Report
October 15, 201213 yr Author comment_64767 Thanks for the article Kev! Your comments and that article are spot on! Report
October 16, 201213 yr comment_64797 Apparently this is the kind of crazy stuff you can do if you aren't trying to be stealthy. Looks awesome. This is one of those games that can change drastically depending on your play style. I ended up replaying the second level again as well. I got detected once and killed someone, but I'm pretty sure I know what happened. I didn't know at the time that civilians seeing you do something suspicious like moving bodies counts, and I unleashed a swarm of rats in a building that may have killed someone. They can definitely eat corpses and count that as kills. You may have to kill the rats off if you let them out where you've hidden bodies. Only the big swarms though. I can see myself playing every level twice like this, once to absorb all of the scenery, backstory, and level layout (all the while trying to get no kills or detections) and a second, much quicker run knowing where most stuff is and where to go, assuming I didn't get ghost and no kills the first time. I'll certainly get my money's worth out of this game. I have 10 hours in it and have only completed two levels so far, out of nine. I'm also playing on the hardest difficulty, which increases enemies' perceptiveness, so that may be a factor.EDIT: 15 hours and 4 levels in now. Being really careful now, I was able to get those two levels complete ghost and kill-free on the first try. Still loving this game. I tried out the time freeze power and it's badass. Report
October 16, 201213 yr Author comment_64814 That video was amazing!!! It looks just as fun running in and fighting with all those powers.Totally cool Kev!! I am going to play this tonight more. Have not had much of a chance. I am a couple levels in though. Like you said playing each level twice is more than justified. This is a great game. Report
October 17, 201213 yr comment_64864 Looks like a great game. But with being stuck in darksider 2 still and RE6 this may be a pickup when price drops Report
October 21, 201213 yr comment_64959 Dishonored is a fantastic game and I urge everyone to atleast rent it. I've written a review for anyone who is interested- http://chrisplaysgames.wordpress.com/ Report
October 24, 201213 yr comment_65027 I just did the first major mission and I'm hooked. This game is absolutely amazing. I haven't tried for Ghost or No-Kill, but I have been going through stealthily, occasionally getting into a scuffle here and there. It's great fun. Very slow-moving, stealth based, and nerve racking at times. Great backstory too. Report
October 29, 201213 yr comment_65204 Just about to buy this in reward for having my cast off. Really looking forward to it. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.