September 15, 201214 yr comment_63794 Well, I must have something wrong with me. Heading out now, at 6:30am on my day off, to drop my wife off at a football game 3 hours away, and go pick up this.i7 970 Hexacore (6-core / 12-core with Hyper-Threading turned on)12 GB OCZ DDR3 1280 Ram (3 2GB sticks of 1280, 3 2GB sticks of 1600)2 x Nvidia GTX 470 Video cards in SLiCreative X-Fi Titanium PCiE Sound CardGigabyte x58a-UD3R motherboard; can support Tri-Sli (full-sized cards), USB 3.0, etcOCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSDSamsung 750GB Hard DriveCustomized Antec Nine-Hundred Case (wheels added, extra hole for powersupply to breath, modded to add holes for cables)Coolmax 1000W PowersupplyLots of Case fans inside, all adjustable 3 speed Antec versionsH50 Liquid Cooling for CPUI shall return late Sunday (since I have to work Sunday) to stream a little stream. Prepare for Live BLT! <-- Misleading as I shan't be streaming BLT, but I'll probably be doing BL1 DLC Sunday. Report
September 15, 201214 yr comment_63796 Gosh. That should be good for the next five to ten years. Report
September 15, 201214 yr Author comment_63797 Just picked it up. Great shape and a great buy Even had most of the original boxes. going to take the CPU out and put in my computer, put mine in this one and then probably resell it. Report
September 15, 201214 yr comment_63799 If it were a year or so down the line and I had the money to throw at it, I'd probably buy it off you. I've been wanting to try a different CPU (Intel specifically, see if it fixes the physics twitch I showed you) and definitely want to change my motherboard with it possibly going bad with the onboard surround sound dying.Wonder if one GTX 480 is better than two 470s in SLI though? Report
September 15, 201214 yr Author comment_63802 Doubtful, but power to performance is likely better. Of course you could always find another 480. Report
September 15, 201214 yr comment_63803 Damn, dude. I didn't know it had all that in it. Deal indeed.Also, I'm still proud of you. Peeping at some spinny boobs, being attacked by a midget and dispatching him even though you were easily outleveled. It was a proud moment for me. lol (Knoxx DLC/Borderlands - Meat Popsicle PK Troll©) Report
September 15, 201214 yr comment_63808 I am. You hung with it and killed him. Most realize he'll take 10 minutes to kill and just give up. Report
September 17, 201214 yr Author comment_63882 Well, it's a start, 6 cores at 3.99Ghz after a 4 hour burn test. Report
September 17, 201214 yr Author comment_63923 More comparisons.x264 HD Benchmarkx264 HD Benchmark is a benchmark that allows you to measure how fast your PC can encode a 1080p video clip into a high quality x264 video file. It allows for an easy comparison because everyone running it will use the same video clip and software. The x264 video encoder has a fairly accurate internal benchmark (in frames per second) for each pass of the video encode and it also uses multi-core processors very efficiently. All these factors make the x264 HD Benchmark an ideal tool in comparing the video encoding performance of different processors and systemsPretty much a direct 50% gain for 50% more cores. I like it . Pass 1.1 is a fluke. Not sure what happened there. Report
September 18, 201214 yr Author comment_63941 Going to keep on posting because I can. Found something that makes me feel great about my choice. Here are the benchmarks from x264 HD Benchmark 4.0:I downloaded it, and ran it on my new processor. Pass 1 was 166.2 FPS and Pass 2 was 51.2 FPS i7 970@4ghz. As you can see from the below benchmarks, that puts me somewhere between the i7-3960x (probably would have been a $1500 upgrade) and the i7-3770K (an $800 upgrade) . Of course, my cpu is overclocked, and I could have overclocked any of the two choices below. The i7-3770K @ 4.9 is listed below, and it's decent, but not much higher than what I get now. The much more expensive i7-3960x @ 4.86Ghz sees 230.5 FPS on Pass 1 and 73.59 FPS on Pass 2. Which is absolutely fantastic. Either way, when compared to my $175 used CPU upgrade those choices aren't worth it. Especially with an entire new generation around the corner. Report
September 19, 201214 yr comment_64002 Dude, that thing is a gd beast. It makes me so jealous. I might do some minuscule upgrades in the near future myself now. Report
September 22, 201214 yr Author comment_64095 Small upgrades are the best. Sates our upgrade habit and does add some improvement. I do love this cpu. Eats up everything I throw at it, but I am still contemplating the gtx 690 WC Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.