June 7, 201214 yr comment_59278 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoEEGySGm4I dunno. I think I would go. Why the **** not lol Report
June 7, 201214 yr comment_59279 seems like a ways out there but if they can pull it off itll be a big leap for humanity. i wonder how they plan on growing food and maintaining constant water out there though. dont think id do it until we figure out how to make the atmosphere breathable, not really a fan of wearing a spacesuit the rest of my life Report
June 7, 201214 yr Author comment_59280 Well it looks like they are going to figure out someway to create a "habitat" about 5 years prior to the actual landing of humans on the planet. It's all concept, but it seems as though it will have a few interconnected housing units which can be extended and added on to. I saw the larger pull out sections on the backs also. Seems feasible that some sort of built in hydroponic systems to grow food/process CO2/etc could be housed within at least one of the units.Wearing a spacesuit would obviously be mandatory for going outside (but it was the same in the original Total Recall also until the end of the movie). I imagine they could start on the surface with those smaller housing units and as the decades pass and more humans are ferryed to the red planet that they could begin to build down into the planet to create infrastructure.It would be the same for a moon base. Small colony needs to be started on the surface, excavate and build into the planet for larger/more reliable space. Report
June 8, 201214 yr comment_59299 Honestly, as cool as this is. I'd rather they focus on saving our own planet than destroying another. Report
June 9, 201214 yr Author comment_59322 I 100% agree with you Ava. The problem still is there that as an expanding population and needs we will HAVE to colonize other planets. Earth can't support us currently, and it definitely won't in the future. Report
June 9, 201214 yr Author comment_59365 I think Earth is doing a pretty good job, currently. While I agree with you, I can't help but think it just can't sustain this level of growth. I don't want the human population to keep raping Earth at its current rate.Besides all of that there are also things to consider as far as accidental global disasters we have no control over (asteroid strikes, supervolcano eruptions, etc). If humans want to survive as a species I think we need to colonize off this rock (not necessarily abandon it). Do you agree with me or am I just being a stoned tard about this whole thing? lol Report
June 9, 201214 yr comment_59366 Naw. I was just having fun with your line about Earth not being able to support us currently. Lifespans keep increasing, inoculations have made sure less of us die and we'll eventually bleed this planet out. It's wise to seek new frontiers. Report
June 9, 201214 yr comment_59367 They shouldn't let people breed like ******* rabbits.I see it all the time. Unemployed, single, drug using mom of 8 with 9th on the way. Report
June 9, 201214 yr comment_59368 Also, only the wealthiest and worthiest would ever be able to afford some **** like this. They'd scoop off all the people they consider valuable and leave the rest of the population here to flounder. Report
June 9, 201214 yr Author comment_59370 Also, only the wealthiest and worthiest would ever be able to afford some **** like this. They'd scoop off all the people they consider valuable and leave the rest of the population here to flounder.I dont think they would do that until things were actually built. Got to have expendable grunts to build the infrastructure. Report
June 9, 201214 yr Author comment_59371 Naw. I was just having fun with your line about Earth not being able to support us currently. Lifespans keep increasing, inoculations have made sure less of us die and we'll eventually bleed this planet out. It's wise to seek new frontiers.I wonder though. If the population and our consumption stayed EXACTLY the same as it is now (somehow) for a thousand years if the Earth could support our current usage. *ponders* Report
June 10, 201214 yr comment_59375 I wonder though. If the population and our consumption stayed EXACTLY the same as it is now (somehow) for a thousand years if the Earth could support our current usage.*ponders*If the Government would help out the US farmers, instead of pushing them to suicide/foreclosing, we could grow plenty to feed us. Also, state parks could be turned into farming land. Although, there's plenty in the midwest not even being used. Need to get Monsanto off our farmer's backs, with all the lame lawsuits over pollen spreading. Report
June 10, 201214 yr comment_59383 I imagines humans would survive. It'd be the rest of the worlds species that would end up suffering. Report
June 13, 201214 yr comment_59461 I think it's very cool and would be great to be alive to watch the first colonization ship land and setup. However, I have to agree with Ava, population control is needed. Seems a far stretch, but how much you want to bet they'd be controlling birth rates on a small colony anyway?Anyone going there would have to agree to that at first. Lots of implications and likely the start of corporate nations. Still be cool to see. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.