May 19, 201214 yr comment_58612 Now there's a mouthful.Built around 100-150 B.C., it was discovered off the Greek Island of Antikythera on an ancient shipwreck found by sponge divers at the dawn of the 20th century. Only recently have we had the technology to penetrate through the thick, rocky encrustation of coral and ocean bicarbonate deposited over the millennia without damaging it.Using 21st-century technology to peer beneath the surface of the encrusted gearwheels, stunned scientists say the so-called Antikythera Mechanism could predict the ballet of the Sun and Moon over decades and calculate a lunar anomaly that would bedevil Isaac Newton himself.-Cosmos Magazine31 different moving gears with three different dial-type gauges. All fabricated, built and aligned with such precision as to be able to track and predict the movements of multiple celestial bodies and events over decades with amazing precision. According to historians and engineers, we didn't have the technology to build a device of this sophistication and complexity for another 1000-1500 years!Check out the video (Click the setting for HD). Here's another one of a replica in action. Sorry 'bout the quality. It's the best I could find. Report
May 19, 201214 yr comment_58615 I honestly feel like we're missing a huge chunk of our history. There are places (Puma Punku) and things (such as this), that defy explanation. Surely there was technological advances, but our history just doesn't show it. Was it buried? It drives me crazy not knowing. Report
May 20, 201214 yr Author comment_58643 I hear you PK."Modern" man has been around for about 200,000 years (from what we gather). This device was made, thought impossible for the time period it was dated, rediscovered and deciphered...all within the last 2,000 years. Who's to say this hasn't happened several times in the last...almost a quarter of a million years? Report
May 21, 201214 yr comment_58730 I remember seeing this a long time ago. I've always been amazed with what you guys are talking about. I can easily see the possibility of lost technology and knowledge. Report
May 21, 201214 yr comment_58740 Our deep past is one huge mystery. We can make limited, informed theories or guesses... but we don't know. Seems each time a theory sounds plausible, we find something like this that outright disputes what we thought man was doing at that time. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.