May 17, 201016 yr comment_8923 Just got this from Gamefly this past Friday and have sank about 9 hours into it so far.Interesting game. It's definitely not a AAA title for sure. The graphics aren't spectacular (lots of jagged edges on textures in some places) and I dislike next-gen RPGs that can't be bothered to have voice-acted lines for people (sucks to read text-boxes all the time). It's hard to describe really. It's definitely a tactical RPG of sorts and KIND of turn-based. You have three characters in your party and the combat sequences are all about shooting your guns and jumping around and stuff. The combat is TOUGH though. Not all of it is, but sometimes a simple fight can turn into an excruciating experience when something goes wrong. You can retry any fight at any time, and even if you lose, for a small amount of credits which is a blessing. Experience is gained for your weapons. Your character will level up depending on how much he is using various weapons. There are Pistols/Handguns, Machineguns and Thrown weapons (so 3 categories). The more you use a weapon the more you level up that weapon and therefore the more hitpoints your character has. Also, all weapons can be customized with various parts like grips, sights, larger magazine sizes, etc. It appears pretty in depth so far.The world map is, welllll.... weird. It's a hex-based world map that you must find Energy Hexes in order to unlock additional places to, as well as even just making a PATH to get their. It is slightly tedious, but so far it seems like you get a lot of these hexes from just fighting. I will post more once I have a chance to explore the game a little bit more, but so far it seems pretty cool. Don't think it's worth $60, but it's certainly a solid RPG so far from Tri-Ace! Report
May 17, 201016 yr Author comment_8924 <object width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=resonanceoffate_gmp_earlyexploring_3510&object=14336225' /></object><div style='width:480;'><a href='http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14336225/tri-ace-new-rpg/videos/resonanceoffate_gmp_earlyexploring_3510.html'>More Resonance of Fate Videos</a></div> Report
May 17, 201016 yr comment_8930 My friend broke his disc, and controller, because of how hard this game is. It can't be THAT difficult can it? I keep hearing its brutal from people that have played it. It looks pretty standard for a JRPG. Report
May 17, 201016 yr Author comment_8931 No, a brutally frustrating RPG would be The Last Remnant. That game is impossible and VERY easy to mess up. (I'm on Disc 2, and have to restart the WHOLE GAME cause I messed up the leveling)This game isn't bad, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. If you don't, or ignore your leveling, you're going to get creamed. You need to make sure to have ALL of your characters level up various weapons. If you focus all on one weapon you won't gain enough HP to take on fights. I also have started to have everyone rotate using grenades too so they can level up the throwing EXP as well. This is VERY important I found out. Also, making sure to stay on top of customizing your weapons is key as well. Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9344 I picked up the game when it came out and I love it. The game is punishing if you aren't a careful or strategic player, but I like that. It makes you think outside the box sometimes. The thing is, I had a bitter taste in my mouth after I beat FF XIII, so this game kind of made up for it. I liked a lot of things in XIII, but this game is a much better JRPG. While FF is looking at casual players with their latest game, Resonance is targeting the hardcore RPG fan. It's like Ninja Gaiden, very hard game, but extremely rewarding and satisfying if you master it. Also, never touched The Last Remnant, and kind of glad I haven't. If I get a gaming PC, I might get it on that, since I heard it was better there. Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9348 Meh, I'll just stick with old (Blue Dragon, 2007) and F***ING ANCIENT (Elder Scrolls Arena, 1994) RPGs for now. Eventually I'll get Final Fantasy XIII, but I've gotta finish all my current stuff first lol. Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9349 I bought Blue Dragon a few weeks ago for 5 bucks and I still haven't fired it up. I've been trying to finish all of my shorter SP games before I jump back into the RPG area. I spent way too much time in FF XIII, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Star Ocean, and Fable 2 the past couple of months, so an RPG break is long overdue. I still have to play Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia (Which is amazing), Lost Odyssey (also amazing) and finish up Resonance. It's a long list of RPGs, especially when you factor in at least 60-80 hours for each. Anyway, I'll probably get into Resonance soon, I hope at least. Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9350 I bought Blue Dragon a few weeks ago for 5 bucks and I still haven't fired it up. I've been trying to finish all of my shorter SP games before I jump back into the RPG area. I spent way too much time in FF XIII, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Star Ocean, and Fable 2 the past couple of months, so an RPG break is long overdue. I still have to play Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia (Which is amazing), Lost Odyssey (also amazing) and finish up Resonance. It's a long list of RPGs, especially when you factor in at least 60-80 hours for each. Anyway, I'll probably get into Resonance soon, I hope at least.I thought I had a lot to play, and I've only really got Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (and recently beat FF12), wow lol.Well Blue Dragon is pretty cool so far, I just love the people who made it, so it was inevitable that I'd play this one day, Akira Toriyama (art, Dragonball creator) Nobuo Uematsu (music, did most FF music) and Hironobu Sakaguchi (director, FF series creator). I only mention this in every single RPG thread I post in LOL.I just hope Lost Odyssey is a bit deeper, Blue Dragon, although pretty cool, is kinda childish in ways. And Arena is just old school goodness, then I'll play the second Elder Scrolls game, Daggerfall, afterwards. Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9351 Lost Odyssey is old school RPG goodness at it's finest. It is worth every penny. Also, don't let the first couple of hours get to you. It seems cliche and predictable at first (which the plot kinda is) but the events unfold in a great, cinematic way. Also, a strategy for boss fights in that game, the lvl you are doesn't matter as much as having the right weapons,skills,equipment, and accessories. Levels are a good HP boost, but the skills you have make the game. Anywho, back on topic. When I played Resonance, I fired up the tutorial and struggled for a while to learn the Tri-Attack. That effin' game is ridiculously complex at first. I'll probably have to start over when I go back to it, just to make sure I re-learn all the tactics lol. Report
May 22, 201016 yr Author comment_9352 It took me ages to learn how to do a Smackdown in Resonance of Fate. Gamefly doesn't send the instruction manuals. LoL Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9357 It took me ages to learn how to do a Smackdown in Resonance of Fate. Gamefly doesn't send the instruction manuals. LoLHaha, did you at least try the tutorial in the game? I mean, it's not exactly awesome at describing each individual thing, but it points you in the right direction. Although, I had to learn Tri-Attack from a youtube video to actually get an idea on how to perform it. Crazy game, but it's good once you can hold your own. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.