Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Modern Warfare 3 getting SLAMMED on Metacritic

Featured Replies

Users from all across the board, Xbox 360/PS3/PC, are taking to Metacritic by storm to slam the most recent Call of Duty title to be released.

Currently on Metacritic for the 360 it's averaging about a 2.5/10 from almost 1200 User Reviews. The biggest complaint is that they feel it's a complete re-hash with the same graphics engine. While I can agree with that sentiment on some levels, they did change a bunch of things including weapon unlocks, how killstreaks are achieved, and added a couple new game modes.

Why all the rage? Games like Madden, Tiger Woods, FIFA, Basketball and Baseball games and other sports titles come on consistently and on an annual basis with generally next to NO differences from the previous year other than roster updates. They don't get nearly the fanboy reaction like Call of Duty is getting right now.

I've played both Battlefield 3 and MW3, and i like them both. I won't say one is better than the other because they offer different experiences. On the other hand, I don't feel that MW3 deserves all the hate it's getting right now. Is Activision cashing in? Absolutely. All that matters is that some people are enjoying their new release.

Thoughts?

I've yet to play the MW3, prob won't for a while considering I'm broke but what I've seen it looks like MW2 - 2.0.

  • Author

I've yet to play the MW3, prob won't for a while considering I'm broke but what I've seen it looks like MW2 - 2.0.

But that's the thing, it IS a continuation of the Modern Warfare setting. Do people call Gears of War 3 "Gears 2 - 2.0"? All they did was add Beast Mode, tweak Horde and some new weapons and a new location.

Its the same with MW3. They added a Survival Mode, tweaked the Spec-Ops, added some new game modes, weapons and messed with the weapons unlocks. Gears 3 also has a "season pass" for $30 which gives you future DLC and no one was complaining about that and yet suddenly the $49.99 Elite Package which lets you record more videos, stat tracking, prizes, promotions and other random crap in addition to the upcoming year's DLC is an issue.

It's just strange in my opinion. A lot of series have continuations and not a lot of "improvements", know what I mean?

I dunno, Chris. I watched somebody play MW3 and it seemed a little too similar for my liking. Gears of War 3 changed a lot of its gameplay mechanics and the jump from MW to MW2 was pretty substantial. From what I saw of my friend playing MW3, I was not impressed. At this point, I think I would rather try Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, or Skyrim.

But that's the thing, it IS a continuation of the Modern Warfare setting. Do people call Gears of War 3 "Gears 2 - 2.0"? All they did was add Beast Mode, tweak Horde and some new weapons and a new location.

Its the same with MW3. They added a Survival Mode, tweaked the Spec-Ops, added some new game modes, weapons and messed with the weapons unlocks. Gears 3 also has a "season pass" for $30 which gives you future DLC and no one was complaining about that and yet suddenly the $49.99 Elite Package which lets you record more videos, stat tracking, prizes, promotions and other random crap in addition to the upcoming year's DLC is an issue.

It's just strange in my opinion. A lot of series have continuations and not a lot of "improvements", know what I mean?

I will say that this is the first year Madden pissed me off. It was downright awful. As for MW3, I have to trade in my PS3 copy for a 360 copy. My wife came home with it last night saying she didn't know which to get. lol. I enjoyed MW2 and will probably like MW3 as well. I was not going to buy MW3 though, I was going to buy Skyrim. I felt that a questing dragon game would have infinitely more to offer than a rehashed war game I've already played twice before. I guess my wife confused the commercials of the two that have been on for a while here on local stations. I commented after the Skyrim one that I was going to have to buy that one and not rent it as I would MW3. As it works out now, I guess I'll get both. I've come to expect that any war game that has numbers in the title will be more of the same. If I buy it and expect something different it's on me not on Infinity Ward.

I haven't played it but I would be disappointed if there isn't a good single player campaign. If you're paying full price for a new game for multiplayer that is ultimately the same then I can understand some resentment. However people should do their research first and not judge a game solely on what you expected of it.

I'll say this...It's beautiful! Frame rate smoothness with all kinds of carnage going on. Guns feel and shoot fantastic. I'm going to say I really like it. It's the same old s h i t but it's beautiful.

I have a huge issue with people comparing modern warfares copy paste ethics to gears, battlefield, assassins creed, ect because most of these studios have only a few titles under their belt (except battlefield but they definitely aren't copy and pasting) and at least they update the engine. Lets face it these tards(treyarch) are a second class studio and Don't know how to make a game on their own and it shows, pretty badly.I tried MW3 and i hafeto say it was a huge letdown. All these other studios are innovating and Treyarchs sitting there thinking the same old crap is gonna pass...well not with me.

The difference from MW to MW2 was significant enough to warrant a buy but Treyarch obviously has no business running that series. Their maps are crap, and feel like the developers children were given free roam to place random objects throughout them. I hope when Infinity Wards founders finally release their next game, they'll blow Activision out of the water so then, maybe, just maybe they'll ditch Treyarchs junk studio and get a real developer making their games.

I have a huge issue with people comparing modern warfares copy paste ethics to gears, battlefield, assassins creed, ect because most of these studios have only a few titles under their belt (except battlefield but they definitely aren't copy and pasting) and at least they update the engine. Lets face it these tards(treyarch) are a second class studio and Don't know how to make a game on their own and it shows, pretty badly.I tried MW3 and i hafeto say it was a huge letdown. All these other studios are innovating and they're sitting there thinking the same old crap is gonna pass...well not with me.

The difference from MW to MW2 was significant enough to warrant a buy but Treyarch obviously has no business running that series. Their maps are crap, and feel like the developers children were given free roam to place random objects throughout them. I hope when Infinity Wards founders finally release their next game, they blow Activision out of the water and make them FINALLY innovate.

This about MP? I don't use that feature so I wouldn't have anything to compare it to. I play the campaign only. I know the MP'er people aren't happy with it.

This about MP? I don't use that feature so I wouldn't have anything to compare it to. I play the campaign only. I know the MP'er people aren't happy with it.

It's about the whole game. The sound is the same, animations are the same ( really still mocap deaths? when can i get some ragdoll deaths dangit?). Treyarchs hit detection has always been really bad compared to Infinity Ward. they always make the story very Micheal Bay, not enough Coen Brothers. It's a crap game and I know i sound biased but seriously i don't care, anyone that is happy with it can't go to hell. CoD has officially surpassed my opinion of sports games as a cash in!

It should be. Freaking campaign is only around 4 hours long. I don't care if it closes the story. 4 hours is way too short!

Can't wait for Skyrim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a break from shooters :)

@ARMISTICEjr

Treyarch only made the Wii version of MW3, the main devs where IW, Sledgehammer, and Raven Software. So uh.....yeah. Treyarch made 3, WaW, and Black Ops, all which while still being the same engine as before, did have some good jumps from there previous entry(they introduced playable vehicles in multiplayer, Zombies mode, a main character with an actual voice, and lots of little tweaks in the multiplayer). Also just want to point out from what i've seen so far, IW and co continue to keep there stuff separate from Treyarch, with no dive to prone or currency system from Black Ops. Not saying there steps like Halo and Gears do, but those games aren't made in 2 years.

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on all the MW3 hate in a longer post latter when I have more time.

@ARMISTICEjr

Treyarch only made the Wii version of MW3, the main devs where IW, Sledgehammer, and Raven Software. So uh.....yeah. Treyarch made 3, WaW, and Black Ops, all which while still being the same engine as before, did have some good jumps from there previous entry(they introduced playable vehicles in multiplayer, Zombies mode, a main character with an actual voice, and lots of little tweaks in the multiplayer). Also just want to point out from what i've seen so far, IW and co continue to keep there stuff separate from Treyarch, with no dive to prone or currency system from Black Ops. Not saying there steps like Halo and Gears do, but those games aren't made in 2 years.

Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on all the MW3 hate in a longer post latter when I have more time.

It wasn't just Treyarch yes your correct. But to Say "Infinity Ward" Had a hand in it isn't correct. When your 2 main guys leave and take alot of the creative people in the company with them leaving a skeleton crew I think it's safe to say that the company is no more. I already know all your saying about the vehicles in Cod 3 and they were boring and glitchy, Zombies for me personally was boring, and i don't care about them making the main character talk cause in my opinion the Treyarch single player experiences paled in comparison to IW. There is a reason they did the "in between the main game releases". because they don't produce the polish and talent that IW did.

  • Author

All these shooters are the same halo cod battlefield, gow is an exception but its still the same thing as its previous version. They are all in the madden genre if you ask me.

Exactly my point. Pretty much all those series of shooters are mostly recycled with each release. It's very rare that I play a shooter that is "fresh", and it's generally a completely new franchise. Vanquish is a great example of that.

Is MW3 perfect? Far from it. I just don't think it deserves the complete amount of hate people are giving it. They call it a $60 map pack? Look at all the DLC those fanboys have spent money on for MW2 and BLOPS. Each of those had like $60 in DLC, and laziness was present because a bunch of the maps were from PREVIOUS GAMES and from DLC packs you've ALREADY BOUGHT. Where was the rage about that? Anytime someone complained they were told to "get a job so they can afford the $15 DLC" and Activision/IW/Treyarch laughed all the way to the bank.

So MW3 is a game with the same graphics engine, new storyline (even though it's short), a whole bunch of new maps you've never played, new game modes, new weapons, new unlock trees for each weapon, new perks, new kill/deathstreaks and the various Strike Packages.

It's an advancement over the previous game, and it's $60. *shrugs*

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.