August 30, 201115 yr comment_43766 I've been reading some articles about fangames which have been shut down by game companies such as Nintendo, Square-Enix, Sega, etc. From what I've heard, Streets of Rage remake was shutdown by Sega, Super Mario Bros. X was shutdown by Nintendo, and more. They say it's because of copyright infringement, but they are just being mean I think. Fangames never hurt anyone. If I were the president of Sega or Nintendo or Capcom or Segtendcom or whatever, I wouldn't mind having people make fangames like those. I'd even urge them to go on, like maybe, Capcom, who was more than friendly and allowed Megaman 2.5D to be continuously worked on. In fact, when people create fangames, they are paying a tribute to the great games companies have, not simply attempting to steal their thunder. When people get their fangames taken down, first thing they thing is probably "Aw crap! And I worked so long on it!" Streets Of Rage Remake took 8 years. And that was removed. It makes you kinda question what lawyers will accept, and it makes ya question your free will in this country. See, this is why companies are losing fans. And Sega's took down a lot of Sonic fangames, which many people say it's because the fangames are better than the newer Sonic games. And, they're right. Sega really can't help it if their games suck. So they ruin everyone else's fun by removing the games that are better than theirs. I'm surprised Sonic Robo Blast 2 hasn't been taken down yet. http://www.srb2.org/End Of Rant.Sorry, I had to get all that out. Anyone agree? Report
August 30, 201115 yr comment_43792 I have seen some of the fan games and the Sonic games were certainly better than the later ones released by Sega. I hadn't realized they had been taken down though. That is a shame, and pretty much crap on the companies end.Which is sad, since a lot of the fan games never make it anyways. IE: Quest for Glory 6 ( A long but ultimately failed attempt ):http://visitors.hero6.com/forums/index.php?topic=4764.0 Report
August 30, 201115 yr Author comment_43798 I have seen some of the fan games and the Sonic games were certainly better than the later ones released by Sega. I hadn't realized they had been taken down though. That is a shame, and pretty much crap on the companies end.Which is sad, since a lot of the fan games never make it anyways. IE: Quest for Glory 6 ( A long but ultimately failed attempt ):http://visitors.hero...hp?topic=4764.0IGN described the fact the fans have better Sonic games than Sega themself as "sad".I've heard of quest of glory, and I did hear about how it was shut down. It jsut bugs me so much how they can be so heartless. Report
August 30, 201115 yr comment_43802 Did somebody say Void?Welcome to the forums.I kind of feel that it's not entirely wrong of the companies to take these down, as it is copyright infringement to use their characters/scenarios/etc., but I also think there should be some regulations that allow them to exist, like fan fictions. Perhaps some regulations that require explicit labeling of the item as a work of fan fiction, a mod, or a parody. Parodies are sometimes protected under Fair Use laws, but if a group intends to make any kind of money off of the trademarked characters, they should have to acquire the rights to use them. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.