August 23, 201115 yr comment_43094 So I was thinking about making a thread along these lines for a while. Here you can basically just post cliches that annoy you. The cliches can be from movies, books, games, or anything. I sort of got the inspiration for this from Cracked. It's just for fun, I'll start with one. And yes I realize I am missing the accent over the e in cliche, but I can't be arsed to look up the keyboard shortcut for that symbol lol.If it becomes a problem for some people, we can use the Spoiler tag, as some of the examples may spoil the plot of some movies/books/etc.Cut Off the Head and the Body Dies Syndrome - The hero is confronted with all of the enemies in one final battle, and the leader steps forth. An epic battle ensues in which the hero defeats the enemy leader. What now? Surely he will then be overwhelmed by all of the remaining enemies that happened to be just standing around doing nothing as their leader was killed. Nope. They all have spontaneous heart attacks and/or amnesia and the story ends.Famous offenders:Star Wars: the Return of the Jedi. After Darth Vader and the Emperor are killed, apparently the rest of the Imperial army just sort of give up.The Matrix Revolutions: All of the Smiths just stand around uselessly as Neo battles the super Smith, then they explode when he is defeated/assimilated/whatever Neo does when he gets absorbed.Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King: Sauron dies and the ground beneath the feet of the orc army falls away and they fall into oblivion, while the earth conveniently does not crumble under the good army's feet.Dark City: I just watched this one recently. The main character was fighting the leader and they flew out of the area the other bad guys were in, then the mc kills the leader and you never see what happens to the bad guys. They just spontaneously disappear, I guess. It wasn't even clear that the guy the mc killed was the leader, or somehow "life-linked" to all the others (though they all shared thoughts, but other members died in the movie without them all disappearing).Honestly, sometimes it's a necessary evil. It often comes off as lazy writing, but the whole "the bad guy dies, and everything goes back to normal" scenario allows for a happy ending without extending the plot too long after the "final encounter" that usually takes place at the end of a story. Sometimes they even have an explanation for it like possession or defection. I just wish it wasn't so common, there are other ways to end a story.This is just an example. We can discuss one particular cliche if we have an opinion on it. Others don't have to be as long or in the same format. Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_43099 Cliche's that need to die? Hmmm. Interesting.Do they have to be related to movies? I know a few real life cliche's (I don't knoow if they're really cliches or just societal standards) that need to die.How about the one where someone says "Here, I've got the door" and then after they open the door, some **** happens like a guy with a gun is there or all the furniture is gone. So overused. Report
August 24, 201115 yr comment_43104 the cliche that's so over used for me is ... "that's so cliche" Report
September 29, 201115 yr comment_46060 The same Call of Duty title repackaged year over year.Bad Sonic games.Recycled Family Guy jokes.Top Youtube subscribed being unfunny, uninformed and their over use of cut away editing were they are in a different part of the screen every 5 seconds.Matrix slow motion bullet scene parodies.Everything Autotune.All must die.... Report
September 29, 201115 yr comment_46061 oooohhh, and people in television/movies playing real video games with fake sound effects."found footage" Scary movies supposedly base on true stories (The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity, Apollo 18, The Last Exorcism, Lost Tapes, Cannibal Holocaust, The Fourth Kind)all movies that should never have been green litThe word "EPIC", Mody **** was an "Epic", your no-scope in COD was not. Report
September 29, 201115 yr comment_46062 Any privileged trendy suburban idiots wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt.Pseudo intellectual Hipster crap, the movies, clothing and most of the music. I'll take the emo kids over these nerds. Report
September 30, 201115 yr comment_46066 Any privileged trendy suburban idiots wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt.Pseudo intellectual Hipster crap, the movies, clothing and most of the music. I'll take the emo kids over these nerds.I love you for that Che remark. Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.