July 21, 201115 yr comment_40841 Who has seen the new pricing change for netflix taking affect immeadiatly for new users and Sept 1 for existing? THey are splitting up the DVD and streaming and charging for both. I dont know if I am going to keep it yet I am still deciding. If they had more new releases for streaming I would just do that. it is going upd to 15.98 a mon for both. Just wondering what you guys think. Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40843 I read their reasons for doing it, but I can't help but think of all the people who in the recent past, got rid of cable for their service. While they may be rolling in cash, they might also be having troubles filling in the demand (DVD). I want to see the pricing for Xbox's TV service that's coming. If it's comparable and they carry shows that others don't, it could be quite lucrative for them. Report
July 21, 201115 yr Author comment_40847 I got rid of my cable and netflix was a good substitute, if I had to pick I would probably keep streaming cause my kids use it alot and just use red box for new release movies. I am interested in the XBOX Tv service as well, and I wish my ISP would do ESPN3, but no luck yet. Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40848 You know, before I saw one in a store the next town over, I didn't even know what Redbox was. Now that I've seen it and heard about it more, it's now a viable option for me. Plus, that store says it will start to carry the games as well as the movies. I'm pretty pumped about that. Gamefly isn't an option for me, and neither is the DVD option from Netflix. Report
July 21, 201115 yr Author comment_40849 Man you must live in the boonies(wish I did, hopefully one day) I have about a dozen red box locations within easy distance, my wife also signed up for something and gets free codes every so often. I lke them but sometimes with whatever is going on I dont get to watch the movie that night and I hate paying extra. Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40852 I live 10 minutes past the boonies (inside joke w/ friends up here lol). Up until a few years ago, the road to my place wasn't paved, and the snow wasn't cleared by the county. I and a few of my neighbors take turns each week, taking trash and recyclables to the dump. I have city friends that are semi jealous of that arrangement, since it costs next to nothing. Just that one dump payment each month when it's your turn. =] Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40861 I like Redbox but I often find it picked over so the selection can be minimal at times. I think the reason Netflix did what they did is because of the increased use of cloud services and they want to phase out the DVD part of their business model as DVDs become less relevant.I think the price hike received tons of negative feedback and lots of people said they would cancel or lower service. I'm interested to see how many people actually follow up on their words. Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40863 If we can get newer releases streamed, instead of on DVD, I'm all for it. Cut down on the plastics, the delivery vehicles and get us some fresh content. Win/win all around. Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40864 If we can get newer releases streamed, instead of on DVD, I'm all for it. Cut down on the plastics, the delivery vehicles and get us some fresh content. Win/win all around.I think that's what they're long term goal is. Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_40887 I'm cancelling the DVD part of my plan come August 31st but I'm keeping my streaming. Report
July 22, 201115 yr comment_41039 I'm cancelling the DVD part of my plan come August 31st but I'm keeping my streaming.Can't remember where i read it but that's what they want you to do. They want to move away from the physical media, its cheaper for them to spend money on the instant content.I'm not surprised by the price increase, I've kinda been expecting it for awhile considering Hulu cost close to the same, has Less content, and commercials. I'm not gonna change my plan, i have the instant, with 1 DVD and BLURAY. Truthfully even with the increase it's cheaper than cable, and it has completely removed my obsession withh DVDs and blurays hoarding. I was buying 3-5 movies a month anyways. Report
July 22, 201115 yr comment_41087 Can't remember where i read it but that's what they want you to do. They want to move away from the physical media, its cheaper for them to spend money on the instant content.I'm not surprised by the price increase, I've kinda been expecting it for awhile considering Hulu cost close to the same, has Less content, and commercials. I'm not gonna change my plan, i have the instant, with 1 DVD and BLURAY. Truthfully even with the increase it's cheaper than cable, and it has completely removed my obsession withh DVDs and blurays hoarding. I was buying 3-5 movies a month anyways.I would keep my DVD plan IF I didn't keep the same dvd for 2 or 3 months without watching it. Haha Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.