Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Retro Game Reviews

Featured Replies

I figured this was the most appropriate place to post an older game review, depanding on the reception I'll probably write some more. Either way, enjoy my review of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, for the Gamecube

179-1.jpg

For years I had played the Need for Speed series, waiting for the day that the good ol’ people at EA would create (in my opinion) a better Need for Speed than the 2nd on the original Playstation. Well that day almost came in the form of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. While I’m sure many will say my view of Most Wanted is jaded by the graphical short coming on the cube, I really couldn't have cared much about how the game looked compared to other systems of it's time or even the current gen consoles of today, because it looks fantastic. Now the game itself is all too familiar. Startup screen: drive crazy only on our game disclaimer, LOGO SCREEN: EA challenge everything THX so on so forth, and finally the Title SCREEN: cool car accompanied by the worst rap music EA could find.

But, enough of the bad, because outside of that there really isn’t much not to like about this game. Where this game truly shines, is the gameplay. And for the most part the game starts out alright, with a relativity fast starter car that seems, to accompany every next-gen Need for Speed title. You learn the basics and meet the (completely stupid and mindlessly dull) antagonist. Then you're set free to roam the city and look for a race. Races are fairly standard fair, Sprint, Circuit, Knock Out, and the 2 new or at least they were at the time, Tollbooth and Speed Trap. While Tollbooth was pretty fun it seemed that the Speed Traps were little more than a standard Sprint race where your only real requirement was to finish in first.

Gameplay: Truly top notch, it seems that EA went for a more true to life racing game. Surprisingly translates very well though not in the ranks of GT4 or Forza. The controls are tight and responsive. While I hate most racing games with catch up mechanics, this game does a better job than most of keeping you on your toes as opposed to frustrating you or flat out feeling cheated.

Graphics: For a system 10 years old and with a very limited library of racing games to compare it to, I’d say it’s certainly better than most GC racers and much more than I thought was possible on the cube, but not quite the graphical flair of the Xbox or PS2. While the car models look spot on, the environment are filled with muddy textures and slow down that seems to come out of nowhere. The CG cutscenes have a nice animation style to them, but will most likely wear on you and grow annoying if only for the characters being to brotastic for any one man to handle.

Sound: The one place this game truly is at home. Supporting, Dolby Pro-Logic II, the game sounds truly beautiful on a good surround sound system. This is the one area of this game that is truly up there with the best of them on any current gen console. The sound track is a toss-up, while some of the stuff a liked some was just too much for me to get into or even care about. I found myself turning off about 2/3 of the music, but with that said music taste is subjective so you may or may not dig the music picks.

Replay Value: A game that can be picked up and played month if not years after completion and still be a blast. I gave it a whirl again 5 years after the fact and I can safely say it’s still a pretty darn fun game.

Overall: With the addition of a new lighting system and new race types, the Need for Speed series managed to stay just fresh enough to feel new and be fun. Putting a new spin on the fast and the furies style racer, with a simulator style driving system.

Very nice review. Have you considered writing for our actual site? I liked your writing style. The only real difference would be that most of us don't really break it up into labeled segments. So instead of "Gameplay: ----------" it would be something like "The gameplay is --------------".

  • Author

Very nice review. Have you considered writing for our actual site? I liked your writing style. The only real difference would be that most of us don't really break it up into labeled segments. So instead of "Gameplay: ----------" it would be something like "The gameplay is --------------".

No, I never really thought of writing for any real sites, it was just someting I use to do quite a bit in my teens. So, I figured I'd give it a shoot again. But, if writing reviews for any site, let alone on my friends frequent such as gamercide were an option, I'd certainly love to try my hand in it.

  • Author

I didn't even know you wrote, Sega. I'm with Kevin. Ever think of writing for anyone?

Kind of like what I had said before, I never really thought of it. But, if the opportunity ever arose, I'd love to. I played alot of games when I was a kid and enjoyed writing aswell. It's just been some time since I last wrote anything, so it just seemed natural that I'd fall back on writing about something I enjoyed and was current on.

Nice review man. I have to agree with you that NFS:MW is one of my favs of the NFS serious. I played it when it came out and beat it, then picked it up again just recently and have been playing it again since I loved it so much.

  • Author

How's your computer, Sega? In terms of running games.

I could have you up and running with a game to play right now, for review.

It's good enough to play Halo 2 and Half-Life 2. Aside from that, I've never really ran an benchmark test to see how well it would hold up with new games. But, I believe it could handle most any game outside of somethingthe likes of Crysis.

Kind of funny, I'm actually writing another review right now.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.