December 14, 201015 yr comment_25379 Is this a big no-no or something? I read conflicting reports online about stuff, but I can clearly find some Apps for it in the Market (Like PDANet and EasyTether, both which cost about $9.99) Apparently I can use my Droid (unlimited data plan) as an internet service provider. The programs claim you can even use it to use your 360 or PS3 wirelessly with the connection. Any truths to this?Would I get in trouble with Verizon for using it in this way? What could they possibly do even to stop me? Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25388 Welll they don't want you to as they have plans that cost 15 a month to do it... if they found out I'm sure they'd be upset.... I've been doing it with my phones for a few years now. I used the program called Tether on my blackberry (that is now on android) and another one that came with the skyraider rom I put on my incredible, and I've never got caught. Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25393 the vzw guy told me about pdanet, actually. he said if you did it all the time, they might question your data usage, but he said it's cool. i only used it when the interet crashed at the hotel i was at. worked great. i got it way back when it was free. Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25394 But what right do they have to "question my data usage" when I pay the extra premium for "unlimited" data? Just curious. Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25435 But what right do they have to "question my data usage" when I pay the extra premium for "unlimited" data? Just curious.The have plenty of rights in the fine print. Not 100% sure, but I would guess it's in their somewhere that it's not allowed. Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25437 *grumbles*I'mma going to download it anyways. May be useful to keep my gaming streak (currently 1164 days straight!) going on XBL in case I ever lose connection to Time Warner or something. LoL Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25441 I'll look into PDANet. I heard it was better/more stable than EasyTether Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25443 I knew I saw it somewhere: Close Window Close this popup window to return to the previous page.Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email). Customer Information: Smartphone Talk Free Promotion If your plan includes the Smartphone Talk Free Promotion, you are required to have Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphone for $29.99. If you switch to another data package, your promotion and the $9.99/line/mo. credit will be removed. Please contact Customer Service if you wish to change your data package. Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts. Check and send personal emails when you’re out and about.Access up to 10 POP3 and IMAP email accounts.Enjoy unlimited Internet access. Compare your Smartphone data options: Personal Email Corporate Email Unlimited Monthly Data Allowance Monthly Charge Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones (business & personal email) Included Included Included $44.99 Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) Included --- Included $29.99 150 MB - Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) Included --- 150 MB ($15 per 150 MB after Allowance) $15.00 $15/150 MB data package is a limited time promotional offer not available with $20 Mobile Broadband Connect/3G Mobile Hotspot feature. The Email and Web for BlackBerry and Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features. Service is only available in the National Enhanced Services and Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas. See information on roaming in Canada and Mexico at www.verizonwireless.com/naroaming. Report
December 14, 201015 yr Author comment_25444 And see, I would argue in court that the contract is contradictory in the fact that it proclaims and promises the use of "Unlimited Internet Access", and yet they limit its usage. *shrugs*I would lose cause I don't have teh monies to hold up in court, but I'd fight anyways. LoL Report
December 14, 201015 yr comment_25447 lol. I wouldn't worry about it. Worst case scenario they force you to pay for an internet plan for laptops etc. Or drop you. They're not going to court of a little bandwidth. Report
December 16, 201015 yr comment_25613 Yea, without rooting like I did, pda or Tether, or whatever. I'd just go for it. I even have had where it was my only internet for over a week, just as long as you don't do it a crazy amount all the time, I doubt they will care. (Hint hint, they don't care till you start costing them money) Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.