Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Kinect Won't Recognize Spanish, But It Does Recognize "mexican"!

Featured Replies

http://kotaku.com/5627036/report-kinect-doesnt-speak-spanish-it-speaks-mexican

So yeah, apparently Spaniards will not be able to use Kinect yet. It's humorous that it does support "Mexican" though, and also that there are THREE varying versions of English (One for US, one for UK and one for..... Canada?) I loved the first comment in the article saying ""Canada, WTF? So I will be forced to say "eh" at the end of every sentence for it to recognize my voice?"

ROFL

Makes me wonder how well it will pick of various accents too which was mentioned in the story, like the famous Boston "Pahk the cah in the yahd" sort of speak, or even how our Irish friends will fare with the UK recognization.

I didn't realize Mexican was a language. So I speak American?

http://kotaku.com/56...-speaks-mexican

So yeah, apparently Spaniards will not be able to use Kinect yet. It's humorous that it does support "Mexican" though, and also that there are THREE varying versions of English (One for US, one for UK and one for..... Canada?) I loved the first comment in the article saying ""Canada, WTF? So I will be forced to say "eh" at the end of every sentence for it to recognize my voice?"

ROFL

Makes me wonder how well it will pick of various accents too which was mentioned in the story, like the famous Boston "Pahk the cah in the yahd" sort of speak, or even how our Irish friends will fare with the UK recognization.

Ok, now I think I have seen it all :unsure: , I hope the person that worte the software for the Kinect gets the boot :bat:

  • Author

I wonder if it recognizes Portuguese. That's where they got the name for Natal. It's the capital city of Rio Grande do Norte, a northeastern state in Brazil.

Nope, just 5 supported right now with 3 of them being forms of "English"

And I agree with Rincon. It's poor programming IMHO

I don't understand what the big deal is? It says "Locale - Mexico, Language - Spanish" Mexican Spanish is way different than the dialects spoken in Spain so that's correct as it is. It also would then leave out Rioplatense Spanish (among other regional Spanish too) speakers too, like those in Uruguay or Argentina, so it's not just Spain getting the shaft.

Talk to ya later Natal...Can't even count how many accents there are in Ireland. I can only imagine people from a few parts of Dublin with an accent clear and normal enough to be understood fully.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.