April 7, 201016 yr comment_1868 So, since the game is due out in May, I figured this would be a good time to start a thread on this game. I for one have been waiting for it since it was announced as a Vista game, so my anticipation has deteriorated and been revitalized with the more recent showings of the game. I am a huge fan of psychological thrillers, and this game carries the pedigree of Remedy (Team behind Max Payne 1 & 2), so I'm expecting a top-notch story to go with the scare factor. For those of you who don't know, or don't know much, about Alan Wake, I've posted some videos so that you guys can check it out.Developer Interview at GDC 09:http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-alan-wake/55308Interview with Sam Lake (The writer behind Alan Wake and the Max Payne franchise):http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-alan-wake/54452 Report
April 7, 201016 yr comment_1869 Been following it for quite a while to, not sure if im going to get the special edition or not, but im definitely getting it on release. Report
April 7, 201016 yr comment_1871 I don't know. Ever since it got that Teen rating, it's kind of dropped off my radar. That, and the endless pushbacks. Report
April 7, 201016 yr Author comment_1883 @PaN: I'm getting the limited edition because it comes with quite a bit of stuff that I definitely want:Alan Wake Limited Collector’s EditionHardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The Limited Collector’s Edition will include: Game Disc in box with unique artExclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy“The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WAExclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and ScoreGame Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content packExclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVEReserve Alan Wake and receive the Bright Falls Bonus pack, which includes codes to download a digital “I am Awake” Avatar T-shirt and the Alan Wake Xbox LIVE Bright Falls Theme. Available online and in-store while supplies last. @PK: The T rating also kind of put me off, but it still seems like it's going to deliver on the scares. I think the T rating was given since it's not over the top blood or decapitations and stuff. The pushbacks I can definitely understand though. It's kind of funny that both this and Conviction were supposed to be out years ago and now we're finally getting them only a few weeks apart lol. Report
April 7, 201016 yr Author comment_2040 So, according to IGN, the game has been finished and was sent in for certification today. It seems like the game will become a reality, and the release date was actually moved up to May 14th for Europe. That's right, Europe gets it before the US.Article: http://xbox360.ign.c.../1082380p1.htmlHere's the latest trailer, also available on the marketplace for download:http://www.gametrail...alan-wake/64231 Report
April 8, 201016 yr comment_2264 The T rating will not keep me away. That looks really good. All I want is an immersive story and controls that make sense. I may be alone in this thought but Heavy Rain's controls take me out of the story. I really wish the controls made more sense. Report
April 9, 201016 yr Author comment_2313 Heavy Rain's control scheme definitely pissed me off. I hated how great the cut-scenes were, only to bring down the experience with terrible controls. It reminded me of the old Resident Evil games with the tank controls. This game, however, reminds me of Silent Hill, in a very good way. Not only that, the way the camera moves is very similar to RE 5 and Dead Space. Personally, I can't wait to see how the story develops and the overall experience definitely looks like it will be a compelling and memorable one. Report
April 9, 201016 yr comment_2323 reminds me of Alone in the DarkYeah...The way the camera uses the windows?? I noticed that. Report
May 16, 201016 yr comment_8767 So did anyone actually get this??? Just wondering as someone was trying to compare it to Heavy Rain on PS3... I'm off to Florida on Weds and can only really get 1 game and I'm not sure what to pick up.. this was up there but after reading the thread I'm thinking maybe not... :/ Report
May 16, 201016 yr comment_8768 If you were to get one game, I'd suggest Red Dead Redemption. Many of us will be playing it. No replayability in Alan Wake that I can see. Report
May 16, 201016 yr comment_8770 So it's out when Weds??? Ok I'll defo look into it... !! Cheers for the heads up PK!!! Report
May 16, 201016 yr comment_8788 I've heard from the staff at the Gamestop I reg Wake is a very short game ....some say 12 to 16 hours of gameplay and i've heard less... Report
May 22, 201016 yr Author comment_9345 Well, the game's length depends on how you play it. I'm on episode 4 and I've been playing for about 6 and a half hours total. I did a lot of exploring and stuff, and I'm about half-way there through Episode 4.Overall, I am absolutely in love with the atmosphere, the art style, and the storytelling. As far as story-driven games go, this is probably one of my top picks for the year, just below Mass Effect 2. The graphics overall are good, even if the character models are lacking. The lighting and the environment are absolutely stunning. It's a great game for sure, so it's going to be tough to balance out playing this and Red Dead, until I beat Alan Wake that is. Report
May 22, 201016 yr comment_9358 I watched probably an hour and a half of play on Rage Quit Radio, and I think the game looks really good. I want to pick it up to give it a try, but I will probably wait. I have a lot of other games on my list to play. Report
May 23, 201016 yr comment_9415 The game is good. I said before i'd heard how short it is, either someones a master gamer or i just completly suck at these things. Im 5 hours into the game and just started chapter 3. Report
June 3, 201016 yr comment_10232 I'm loving this game so far. I find it strange though that the cut scenes' clarity is not as good as the actual in game graphics'....?...Why would that be? Other than that, It really is a great game so far. Anyone else playing this now? Report
June 3, 201016 yr comment_10242 I'm loving this game so far. I find it strange though that the cut scenes' clarity is not as good as the actual in game graphics'....?...Why would that be? Other than that, It really is a great game so far. Anyone else playing this now?I played it, and beat it soon after it came out. I really loved it, I agree on the cut scene thing. They look awful, compared to in game. Besides that, the game is really good. I need to go back, and replay it. Report
June 4, 201016 yr comment_10297 Also, I love the way they ended each episode...I listen to the music all the way through...The recap is pretty cool too! Report
June 4, 201016 yr Author comment_10309 Also, I love the way they ended each episode...I listen to the music all the way through...The recap is pretty cool too!The cut-scenes don't look as good as the in-game stuff because it's pre-loaded using the game's engine. It's kind of how Uncharted 2 avoids loading during gameplay by using pre-rendered in-engine cinematics so that the game can run smoothly. Sometimes it allows for better animation and effects (a la Mass Effect 2 cutscenes) or it doesn't look much better than the game itself. It's just a workaround to keep the pace consistent. As far as the soundtrack goes, it's pretty damn awesome. One cool thing you can do as well TC, if you go to the "Extras" section of the main menu, you can re-read any manuscripts you found, watch any cut-scenes you have previously unlocked, and listen to any of the songs you've unlocked. Also, all I can say about the game's ending is, I CAN NOT WAIT for the new dlc! Report
June 4, 201016 yr comment_10313 The cut-scenes don't look as good as the in-game stuff because it's pre-loaded using the game's engine. It's kind of how Uncharted 2 avoids loading during gameplay by using pre-rendered in-engine cinematics so that the game can run smoothly. Sometimes it allows for better animation and effects (a la Mass Effect 2 cutscenes) or it doesn't look much better than the game itself. It's just a workaround to keep the pace consistent. As far as the soundtrack goes, it's pretty damn awesome. One cool thing you can do as well TC, if you go to the "Extras" section of the main menu, you can re-read any manuscripts you found, watch any cut-scenes you have previously unlocked, and listen to any of the songs you've unlocked. Also, all I can say about the game's ending is, I CAN NOT WAIT for the new dlc!I take it the game doesn't end? I already want to play AW2! lol. The soundtrack so far is one of all time favorites...That is saying a lot. Report
June 5, 201016 yr comment_10393 I take it the game doesn't end? I already want to play AW2! lol. The soundtrack so far is one of all time favorites...That is saying a lot.Just wait until you play Chrono Cross. How is getting your Playstation back coming along? Report
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.