Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gamercide

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Welcome back to Gamercide!

Looking for some HDTV Assistance

Featured Replies

Okay, so in about a week or two I plan on getting a new HDTV, but I have seen way too many options and it's made me a bit indecisive. So, I request the aid of the wise ones of the Gamercide community.:P I'm looking for a 1080p tv with a decent DCR within the 700-900 dollar price range. Can you guys offer any favorites to help me narrow down the search?

  • Author

Oh yeah, duh! I forgot to add that lol. Well, preferably something between 40-46 inches, but as long as the tv has a great display, it doesn't bother me if it's slightly lower.

I have the 55" version of this one. I think it's Best Buy's store brand. I'm very happy with mine, and this might fit your budget. If not, here's the next step smaller. I would have gone with Vizio, but I don't like giving Walmart my money, and I think they're the only ones locally to carry Vizio.

  • Author

Something like this should do you well:

http://www.bestbuy.c...0&skuId=9761174

Don't buy into the HZ bs.

That does look like a mighty fine tv. I'm not exactly sold on the Hz stuff either, but I have noticed that tvs that output 120 Hz do run a tiny bit smoother. The main stuff that I always look for, apart from 1080p resolution, is whether or not it has a high static or dynamic contrast ratio. When you compare those, you notice a bigger difference in picture quality. That's the one thing that worries me about tvs that don't display that in the specs section. Still, as long as the picture is good quality, it's a worthy purchase.

  • Author

I like the Samsung and Insignia tvs you guys posted (I left my window on the reply thing to Dat so I missed your posts earlier). I don't know about Vizios though Pogre, my buddy has had some not so great experiences with those, but it is a major improvement compared to Sharp lol.

If its gotta be the DCM then this House Brand Insignia from Best Buy actually had high ratings on consumer reports:

http://www.bestbuy.c...X-10A&cp=1&lp=1

This 42-inch 1080p LCD set from Insignia, Best Buy's house brand, delivers very good picture quality (with some flaws, as noted) and very accurate colors at a low price, making it a CR Best Buy. It includes Insignia's DCM plus 120Hz technology, and five HDMI inputs, one more than most.

HighsVery good high-definition and standard-definition picture quality. It did an excellent job displaying the finest detail in top-quality high-definition content. Color accuracy was excellent. Contrast was good, typical for most models we've tested. Brightness level was good, suitable for most rooms. Very good, smooth reproduction of scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas, such as a sky during sunset. Very good film-mode operation (3:2 pulldown) effectively minimized jagged edges -- "jaggies" -- on our 1080i high-definition movie content. Our 1080i high-definition video clip with motion detail (de-interlacing test) looked very good with just a hint of visible jaggies. Has Insignia's DCM plus technology that doubles the TV's frame rate -- we found it effectively reduced, but did not eliminate, motion blur. Sound was good, fine for typical TV programming. The remote control is excellent; all of its buttons are backlit so they're easy to see in the dark; it has dedicated buttons for selecting each video source (Video1, Video2, etc.). Has five HDMI inputs, more than most TVs we've tested. Long (24-month) warranty.

LowsEdges of objects in the image stood out a little too much because of slight edge enhancement. Dark scenes were slightly lacking in contrast. Slightly uneven illumination appeared as cloudy areas that were sometimes distracting in very dark scenes. Our 480i standard-definition video clip with motion detail (de-interlacing test) was flawed by clearly visible jaggies. Viewing angle was somewhat limited -- the picture lost some color, contrast, or brightness as we moved off from dead center. Lacks USB port, separate red/blue/green level adjustments, and multimedia slide-show. Failed to accept a 1080/24p signal via HDMI, though only certain Blu-ray movie buffs might care.

73/ out of a 75 highest rating in 40 to 42in category.

I won't argue the HZ thing here :) . Just watch a movie with it on when you get it and tell me it doesn't look/feel like a soap opera. It kills depth of field.

If I didn't just get a new laptop (necessity), I'd probably get that Samsung I posted. I've been eyeing it for awhile, actually. It's come down in price two times I think, since I first started watching it.

I need a second TV so badly. Three people sharing one TV sucks, when you want to game. lol

  • Author

If I didn't just get a new laptop (necessity), I'd probably get that Samsung I posted. I've been eyeing it for awhile, actually. It's come down in price two times I think, since I first started watching it.

I need a second TV so badly. Three people sharing one TV sucks, when you want to game. lol

That's precisely why I'm getting a new tv. Oddly enough, I have not used an HDTV for gaming yet. My sis was given the first HD set as a gift for moving, and it was before I had an HDMI 360 (Didn't actually try component). That old set was for general use in the living room (which has an SDTV now :(), this tv is for my personal use, so I want to make sure that my first time gaming in Hi-Def is as good as my budget affords me.

If I didn't just get a new laptop (necessity), I'd probably get that Samsung I posted. I've been eyeing it for awhile, actually. It's come down in price two times I think, since I first started watching it.

I need a second TV so badly. Three people sharing one TV sucks, when you want to game. lol

Yeah, looks like a good tv. I have a Samsung very similar to that and the same size, and I love it.

EDIT.

Nexus, btw. If you do get a 120hz tv. Turn that off for gaming. It introduces visual lag.

  • Author

@ Dat: I figured as much, I just mentioned it because my buddy, who is a PS3 fanboy, told me that if I get an HDTV to go with a 120hz because the ps3 can run at 120hz....LOL While I know that it's possible, that would be a dumb reason to get a 120hz, especially because if the tv isn't designed to get the most of the max hz rate, it will cause, as you said, visual lag. So I figure 60 hz will be just fine.

@PK: I can only imagine. I love Final Fantasy, but it's so hard to read the words on screen and to see what the stat icons mean. At first I couldn't tell what each status ability was unless I went with the color of the icon. I definitely can't wait to upgrade to that ultra sharp display for sure. I heard about Dead Rising, but I also experienced that playing Mass Effect 2, so I feel your pain.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.